26.2.08

Koto Bolofo


I am indulging in my usual junkie habits of reading magazines, and I come across this article in my South African Elle. What attracts me to the article is a picture of a small black man, who looks South African, holding an old school camera. Quick squeeze over the caption, and the words ‘iconic status’ pop up, so I tell myself I will come back to this article when I can read it at my real leisure, in my ‘library’. Fast forward a few hours, one KFC burger later, and I finally get around to it.

It’s an article about a man, indeed South African; his name is Koto Bolofo, an iconic photographer. A page into his (story), and my mind is already swarming in admiration, reverence, oohs and aahs, and wows! Why have I never read about this man before? I wish I had known about him earlier. In any case, three pages later, a brief look into a 20 – year – and – on – going – career, and I am already on the Internet. Type in Koto Bolofo and thousands of results appear.

Wow I repeat, kgape le kgape (again and again), scanning through fashion spreads for influential publications, and advertisements for revered clothing labels. How can you not respect this man? Well, if you cannot admire him for his body of work, admire him for where he comes from. From being rejected by his country, losing his mother, being stuck in an orphanage, being victimized for his existence, being kicked out school, and being told he sucks at what he loves, to supreme success. Not only has he overcome obstacles, he has surpassed them, and totally obliterated stereotypes.

Article over, search done, and now I am in love. Stop your thoughts! I am in love with his (story): his ability to transform his passion into a type of weapon, which dispelled people’s skepticism about his capabilities as a black man from Africa. And soon I will embark on a journey that is driven by my passion, in hopes that I can use it in ways similar to Mr. Bolofo. Passion: every artist’s staple, or at least it should be. My ‘in-loveness’ also leads me to dream that one day I may work with Koto Bolofo (yes, the euphoria of being in love compels you to believe that anything is possible).

Big sigh! It’s a no wonder he also finds himself among the Sartorialist’s list of favourites.

Click on the title of the post to see Koto Bolofo's bio and portfolio of work.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

true.bolofo is on another tangent right now...but his work seems 'spontaneous' (for lack of a better description)...in a right-place-at-the-right-time kinda way...unlike la chapelle - my other favourite who i love to hate...

i've always beefed with constructed images,but then again,in fashion photography...

Fuzunina said...

Yeah, I'm just getting into the whole fashion photography thing but like feel you, if I understand what you're saying. I mean, duh, it's all has to be constructed in fashion photography, but you still want the FEELING of spontaneity. David LaChapelle from what I've seen though is quite out there though, it's like he creates these little fantasy worlds (correct me if I'm wrong), so inevitably his work will appear to be constructed and have that air about it. Guess it also just depends on what kind of campaign you're working on. Like I dig his Lil' Kim in Louis Vutton skin...